Pretending

"Fake it till you make it." That's something a lotta people live by. I am not going to deny it either. I live by that too sometimes. Most of the times it work. For instance, do you feel like you are not that cool enough yet? Just fake it till you make it. 

But what's the point? What's the point of pretending? Is it just for the people around us? Or is it for ourselves too? 

High school can be daunting. I'm just beginning to get the sense of it. Freshman year, wonderful isn't it? But sometimes you have to hide yourself to be perceived as "cool" or someone who is "fun to hang out with". HOW PATHETIC. Like for example, not being able to say that you actually think that the nerdy guy with a face full of pimples is a really fun person. Or not being able to wear you favourite High School Musical shirt from 6 years ago (Yes, it still fits me.) because everyone will think that you are being childish.

Do we like it? Of course not. But we still go along with it because we don't want to be left behind. I realized that a few months ago myself. Guess what? I don't freakin care anymore. Do I talk to that nerdy guy? Yes I do. Do I wear my favourite shirt? Hell yeah! Wanna know why? Because if you are not true to yourself then what's the point of being you at all?! You could just be a dummy wearing whatever the salesman gives you, whether you like it or not. (That was actually a really lame point but you get what I mean.) 

Here's the truth, pretending doesn't help. It hide you, hides your true, amazing self. Everyone of us is amazing and unique, trust me on this. And high school won't last forever! Why do you care what those dumbass, so-called "popular people" think of you? You might say, "Because I want to be cool too! I want to be in that 'popular group'." I get it, but at what cost? They don't know you. And if you keep the shenanigan up, in a few years time, you won't even recognize yourself. 

I used to be that kid, who would go along with others just so that they would think highly of me. Look where that got me, those people aren't my friends! They are blue eyed snakes. They suck the soul out of you. If you ask my true friends, the ones who really know me, will tell you that I have changed, and that too, for the better. I don't give a fuck about what other people think of me. Not a single fuck. I can sit with my friend on the ground holding a paper flag and singing a freakin patriot song and not care who is watching. How I did that? I believed. In myself and those who actually cared about me. Believed that opinions and dark whispers can't hurt me. Only you can hurt you, no one else. 

If you wanna know who is really your friend, stop pretending. I bet 70% of those people will leave your side. Friends are those people to whom you can tell everything and do everything with with no fear of judgment what so ever. So to everybody out there, stop. Stop with the fake smiles, the elaborate masks and seamless acting. To quote Dr. Seuss, "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Be you. Love you. Believe in you. Stop pretending. Let all the lies crumble away. You'll be happier, I promise. 

Till next time, this is me signing off! XOXO 

P.S. Pretty isn't the point. If you are a beautiful human being, being pretty doesn't matter either. You are beautiful in someone's eyes, you just have to find that person. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's Up What's New

Spoken Word

Major Plot Twist